Let’s face it. Every computer in the whole world is not a Mac. There may be a time when you will need to use your QuickBooks company file on a Windows computer. For example, maybe you need to send your company file to your accountant who uses a Windows machine. The good news is that QuickBooks for Mac makes this potentially frustrating process easy. QuickBooks for Mac allows you to simply save your Mac file as a Windows file to use with QuickBooks for Windows.
Here are simple step by step instructions on how to make the conversion:
On the Mac
- In QuickBooks for Mac, open the company file that you would like to convert to a Windows file.
- Choose File > Back Up to QuickBooks for Windows.
- Choose the name of the file you want to convert and click Save.
- On the Enter Password window, enter a password for the file. Or, if you do not want to password protect the file, just leave the fields blank.
- Click OK. QuickBooks will then create a .qbb file. You can then click “Show File in Finder” to locate the file on your Mac. QuickBooks also creates an instruction PDF file in the same location and with the same name as your .qbb file.
- Send both the .qbb file and the Instruction PDF file to the Windows user using MobileMe, CD, or USB drive or some other media. (Most Macs read and write data to and from PC-formatted media.)
On the Windows computer
- In QuickBooks for Windows*, choose File > Open or Restore Company and follow the onscreen prompts.
- When asked to update the file, mark the checkbox and click Update Now.
- Review the file and make any changes that are necessary .
Once you complete these few simple steps you will be good to go.